Tuesday, December 9, 2008

When Random Facebook Apps Get Switched to Speeddate

Like approximately 99.57% of North American students, I am addicted to Facebook. However, I gave up on most of the applications that came with it ages ago, and mostly just ingnore anything they try to send me. What bothers me, however, is when applications like Speeddate start replacing old apps and you end up with emails from an application you didn't choose. Just today, I received the most ridiculous email from them (despite the fact that my settings have been changed to "don't send me any emails" for the past month.

"We found you a potential match on SpeedDate.

discoman69 is 32 and from Canada. Click here to learn more about discoman69, and send a flirt if you want.

Best, The SpeedDate Team---This email was sent by SpeedDate (Formerly Name Analyzer.) "


Now, the first thing that makes this email completely ridiculous is that I'm 17. So if the first potential match they send me is someone who is two years less than twice my age, it's not exactly a fantastic incentive for me to try their dating service. Plus you have to be 18 to use these services, which makes me wonder why they bothered contacting me in the first place. Obviously, they had access to my Facebook profile to find out my age.

Then there's the fact that this guy's username is discoman69. Nuff said. Although, in all fairness, coming up with decent usernames that don't involve your name can be difficult.

At this point, I'm not sure I like the whole idea of online dating services. I mean, I'm not saying God cannot use them to bring people together, and I'm sure there are some very happy couples who met through online dating sites, but when I picture my children asking em how their father and I met, it just doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'll go tell off some guy mowing the church lawn and tell him that he's making the ministry look bad with his shoddy mowing job. It worked for my mom.

No comments: